Mason Greenwood, a Manchester United striker, has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of rape, assault, and threatening to kill.
Following the allegations leveled against the striker, the club has suspended Mason Greenwood “until further notice.”
Greenwood was released from custody on Wednesday morning, according to Greater Manchester Police (GMP). The investigation is still ongoing.
What exactly has been said?
“A 20-year-old man arrested on Sunday 30 January 2022 on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation,” according to a GMP statement.
It comes after Manchester United announced over the weekend that Greenwood would be leaving the club for the foreseeable future.
“Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” the club said in a statement on Sunday.
The Old Trafford club previously stated that they are aware of “images and allegations” about the 20-year-old that have surfaced on social media.
United, according to a spokesperson, “does not condone violence of any kind.”
Arrest was made
GMP confirmed last week that a man in his twenties had been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
“Greater Manchester Police were made aware earlier today of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence,” the statement said on Sunday.
“An investigation was launched and following enquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning. Inquiries are ongoing.”
GMP were then given more time to question Greenwood, who was detained in custody while being questioned about the allegations. This extension came to an end on Wednesday.
“We remind people to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim’s right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings.” GMP said on Sunday.